Aligning Assessments with Outcomes
Assessments evaluate the progress and performance of a student and must align with the course learning outcomes. The methods used to assess or evaluate performance are a critical component of the process of teaching and learning.
Assessment should be ongoing throughout course delivery to provide continuous feedback between faculty and students. Constructive feedback on a learner’s progress should be built into all assessment activities, whether they are formal or informal methods of assessment.
There are multiple ways to assess learning and the mastery of learning outcomes. It is important to strategize a variety of assessments to offer them robust opportunities to demonstrate their learning.
Types of Assessment
- a diagnostic tool to gauge student prior knowledge (not evaluated for a grade)
- low-stakes/low-risk evaluations (low percentage of final grade)
- multiple and used to scaffold student knowledge and skills
- assesses ongoing projects during their design and construction and to offer feedback for continued progress in learning
- informs our teaching should students need opportunities for clarification of misconceptions or misunderstanding of content
- evaluates what a student has learned
- high-stakes/high-risk evaluations (high percentage of final grade)
- transparent and clear expectations are outlined for students
- can be cumulative (portfolios, major projects, etc.)
- examples could include: midterm tests, final exams, demonstrations, labs, EL/WIL, etc.
- uses a rubric or grading scheme
Resources for Assessments
Assessment and Evaluation Tools
Peer & Self Evaluations
Samples of Peer & Self Evaluations
Assessment Grading Tools, Algonquin College: https://www.algonquincollege.com/profres/assessing-students/assessment-…
Peer and Self-Assessment, Northern Illinois University: https://www.niu.edu/citl/resources/guides/instructional-guide/peer-and-…
Peer Assessment, Cornell University: https://teaching.cornell.edu/teaching-resources/assessment-evaluation/p…
Peer & Self-Evaluation, University of Wollongong: https://www.uow.edu.au/student/learning-co-op/assessments/evaluation/
Preparing students for Self- and Peer Assessment, Queen’s University: https://www.queensu.ca/teachingandlearning/modules/assessments/30_s3_08…
Top 25 Microsoft Forms Tips and Tricks 2022: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQbMdqXjxQ
Self and Peer Evaluation example, Northwestern University: https://www.northwestern.edu/searle/docs/History%20and%20Philosphy%20Se…